This is also known as the Vesak Day 2556. It has been 2556 years since Lord Buddha’s Final passing into Mahaparinibbana, and 2601 years since his Enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree.
The commemoration of Vesak Day varies in different regions, according to their traditions and calendar observations.
In 2012, Vesak Day is observed on the following dates :
- 8th April 2012 in Japan
- 28th April 2012 in Hong Kong, China and Taiwan
- 5th May 2012 in Singapore, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Cambodia and Laos
- 6th May 2012 in India, Indonesia, Myanmar and Nepal
- 28th May 2012 in South Korea
- 4th June 2012 in Thailand
Whichever the different dates are, the common focus for this day is the commemoration of Lord Buddha‘s attainment of Enlightenment and to spread His Teachings on the Four Noble Truth to end all sufferings for all living beings.
Happy Vesak Day 2012 to all devoted Buddhists and Happy Holidays to All !