Coming Soon, on 19th September 2012, the much anticipated iOS 6 will support the iPhone® 3GS and later, iPod Touch® that are 4th Generation and newer, and the 2nd and 3rd Generation iPad®.
Moving away from Google Maps, the newly designed Maps App now comes with 3D views (3D Buildings in Navigation will only be available for USA maps for now).
It will include Traffic information crowd sourced from iOS users, and it will also include a Garmin-like navigation for drivers with Siri integration for spoken turn-by-turn directions, and you can even ask Siri to find the nearest Petrol kiosk!!
Map Functions Available for us in Singapore includes :
- Standard Maps
- Satellite View
- Turn-by-Turn Navigation
- Local Search
For Now, these Map functions are not available for Singapore in this release :
- 3D Buildings in Navigation
- Business Reviews and Photos
- Traffic Info
Siri received a series of updates, including knowledge of all kinds of Sports News and Scores, (with information on even the height of the National League players!! – But we are not getting these Sports Information and Updates here in Singapore)
Siri will also be updated with restaurant search and reservation functions and Yelp integration. Movie reviews and ratings as well as showtime information are also included in the update with Rotten Tomatoes integration.
With In-car integration from the various car makers to add steering wheel buttons within the next 12 months, you can now concentrate on driving without having to look at your phone to use Siri!
Siri can now launch apps and with new language support that includes Cantonese, Mandarin, French, German, Italian, Korean and Spanish!
Most of the Siri Information services such as Sports Info, Local Search, Directions, Restaurant Information, Restaurant Reviews, Movie Information, Reviews and Showtimes will not be available for our location in Singapore in this update ~ unless we get a 3rd party app integration, or maybe it will be included in a further update.
Siri is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad (3rd generation), and iPod Touch (5th generation) and requires Internet access. Cellular data charges may apply.
You can now log in to Facebook in the Settings, and able to post photos, update your status, view Facebook events in your Calendar and even post your location from Maps!
Other iOS updates :
- FaceTime® chat is not limited to a WIFI connection anymore, and it is now possible over our cellular network! A “Do Not Disturb” setting is also available now.FaceTime video calling requires a FaceTime-enabled device for the caller and recipient, and a Wi-Fi connection. FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Availability over a cellular network depends on carrier policies; data charges may apply.
- There will be a new Swipe control to send out custom messages with one tap when you are busy or in a meeting when an call comes in.
- The new Mail App will also include a “VIP Inbox“, where certain email addresses can be marked as VIPs and whenever you receive a email from them, it will appear like a SMS on the lock screen.
- You can also view your desktop tabs on your iPhone or iPad with iCloud® tab syncing for Safari, for all your offline reading needs, like the Reading Lists on Instapaper.
Offline Reading List is available on iPhone 4 or later, and iPad 2 or later
- The Camera App now comes with a new panorama feature that allows your to capture and stitch photos to form a high-resolution panorama picture up to 28 Megapixels!
Panorama is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPod touch (5th generation)
- With the new photo sharing feature, you can also share Photo Streams and choose the photos to share and who you want to share them with.
- There is also a Passbook app, that keeps track of your store cards, tickets and boarding passes.
- With Find My iPhone, together with iOS 6 and iCloud, you can track and protect your missing device, and you can immediately lock it and send a message with your contact number that will be displayed on the Lock screen. It will also report its location to you any time you check it with the Find My iPhone app.
- Another phone tracking feature is the Find My Friends app. You can now share locations with friends and families, and you can track each other easily on a map. There is also location based alerts and notification function to let your friends know about your location.
Find My iPhone and Find My Friends enable you to locate iOS devices only when they are on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or have an active data plan.
- The Chinese dictionary and handwriting recognition is also improved. Now you can mix full and abbreviated Pinyin or even type English words in a Pinyin sentence without the need to switch keyboards.
Adding new words to your personal dictionary will be updated via iCloud, so that it will be available on your other devices synced with iCloud too.
There are also other features catered to our Chinese speaking friends, ie. Baidu option in Safari, direct video sharing to Youku and Tudou, direct posting to Weibo from Camera, Photos, Maps, Safari and Game Center
iCloud requires iOS 5 or later on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd generation or later) or iPad; a Mac computer with OS X Lion or later; or a PC with Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Outlook 2007 or 2010 or an up-to-date browser is required for accessing email, contacts and calendars).
Some features require iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion. Some features require a Wi-Fi connection.
Some features are not available in all countries. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.
Apple®, iPhone®, iPad®, iPod®, Siri®, FaceTime®, OS X®, iCloud® , App Store℠, AirPlay® and Safari® are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
IOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under license.
All other trademarks mentioned in the article belong to their respective owners and the Brand Names are mentioned for identification purposes only.
SingaporeanLifeStyle.com is an independent website and is not sponsored by Apple Inc.